Mixed Peas with Almond and Basil
May 5, 2022
Pass the peas, please! As one of the most popular side-dishes in the U.S., green peas are a healthy, classic favorite. Green peas are most commonly bought canned or frozen. Fresh green peas can also be purchased at some grocery stores or farmers markets; however, they take some extra work to prepare – you’ll need to remove the pod and inner shells before eating the peas. Green peas are also called garden peas, English peas, field peas and sweet peas.
Servings: 8 | Prep/cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- ⅔ cup sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. toasted almonds, flaked
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek softens.
- Meanwhile, cook peas, snow peas and sugar snap peas in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Add peas to the leek mixture and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add basil and almonds and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately